Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Well, here I go and bitch and complain mean while Jason did come through for me. So, this is where I tell you a little bit about Jason my first guest blog buddy. He loves music and gets bored all day. Thankfully when I am bored he is there to help out. His blog is updated way more than mine and he always makes comments (I love for people to do that). So read below and check out his blog it's worth going to daily trust me I know...

Nightshift at the Kentucky Fried Chicken - Resident Jason

When I was in high school I took a job at the local Kentucky Fried Chicken. It was decent cash for a high school sophomore. I got free food and soda. We (Clint, the owner's younger son who was the same age as me) listened to Bad Religion, Screeching Weasel and NOFX all evening (except when I worked with the owner's elder son who insisted on "Workingman's Dead" by the Grateful Dead. To this day, I can't stand the Dead).

I was banned from the drive-thru speaker after being employed there for only two weeks when I welcomed customers to "Kentucky Fried Children." Hey, I was fifteen and bored on a Tuesday night. Not finding the humor in it, the owner placed me in the back with the flour and the fowl. It sucked ass. Making the chicken wasn't so bad, but making the cole slaw was a bit arduous with the chopping of cabbage and all.

Like any business, you'd get your regulars. There was the old guy who ordered three original recipe legs (with extra grease). The overzealous soccer dad who wore the same gray coaches shorts - no matter what the temperature was - always order a 21-piece extra crispy dinner - no thighs, no legs, no wings, no fun. This forty-something, housedress-wearing lady used to come in one a week, order a 15-piece family dinner, a 32 oz. Diet Pepsi, and sit and eat the whole thing. She always left one of the six biscuits untouched. We would inspect the bag after she left because we couldn't believe one person could eat all that. Sure enough, those bones were picked clean. I always felt guilty afterwards like we were making fun of her. It's not so much that we were making fun of her, as it was just utter shock and awe we felt that one mortal could eat so much in one setting.

Completely off the subject here, but what's with the super-sized diet soft drink? I've never understood this. It appears to me that a lot of over-weight people will order the fast food with the highest content of fat (I'm generally standing behind them in line preparing to order the same heart-attack-waiting-to-happen food, so I know this) and then offset it with a diet soda. I don't play those psychological games with myself. Never have. I'll go with a Dr. Pepper (which contains zero prune juice, according to the Food Network special on this nectar of the gods) where available. I will settle for a Coke as my second choice.

Back on the KFC tip, I fondly look back at my life in the fast food lane and can't help but get a wee bit misty-eyed. I'm serious. The old guy is most certainly dead. The soccer dad most likely has shrinked his order down to a three-piece dinner for one, as his annoying, sports-are-my-life demeanor has to have gotten to his wife by now. What about the 15-piece dinner for-five-but-eaten-by-one lonely, overweight lady? She is the one I find myself thinking of the most.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home